What is Car-Sharing and the Different Models Available
One of the most common questions we get from prospective members is “How does Car-Sharing work?” along with “How do I collect and/ or return the car?” We do answer these questions to the best of our abilities, because we understand that the sheer volume of information available on the internet may be too confusing or too much to handle.
That is why we’ve decided to write a one-page primer to address these queries, explaining what Car-Sharing is in a general introduction, as well as describing the different Car-Sharing models. As you begin to understand how each model works, you may then be better equipped to choose the style best suited to your usage pattern.
What is Car Sharing?
Car-Sharing is an on-demand personal transportation service that gives users access to a fleet of vehicles for a short period of time.
Models of Car-Sharing
1. One-way Car-Sharing (A to B)
Image source: French Chamber Singapore
- Members can pick up from and return the vehicle to pre-designated car parks within a certain area
- Reservations can only be made up to 15 mins in advance
- Can be used for short one-way trips (e.g. commuting to city)
- Standardized fleet of compact cars
- Eg. BlueSG
2. Return Trip Car-Sharing (A to A)
Image source: sgCarMart for Car Club
- Cars are picked up from and returned to the same station
- Supports both last-minute and advanced reservations (up to 60 days)
- Mostly used for business or lifestyle needs when having a car is more convenient such as making multiple stops within a trip and when time is of the essence
- Diversified fleet of vehicles including MPVs and cargo vans
- Eg. Car Club
Common Characteristics of Car-Sharing
- Not limited by office hours
- Self-service reservation, pickup and return
- Book by the minute, hour or day
- Users are members
- Vehicles distributed throughout the city, often near work or home
- Fuel costs included in rates
Now that you have a basic understanding of what Car-Sharing is and how Car Club fits into the model, feel free to approach any one of our friendly operators should you have any questions.